MAYWE resumes rehearsals tonight after our two-week break for marching band events. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing everyone tonight! -Dr. V
The first rehearsal and parent meeting of the season will be held on Monday, September 23rd, 2019 at North Atlanta High School.
Rehearsal begins at 7p and the parent meeting at 7:15p
VIDEO AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
THIS PAGE DESCRIBES HOW TO APPLY AND WHAT TO PERFORM FOR THE VIDEO AUDITION SUBMISSION. APPLICATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 4, 2019.
For membership/tuition information, click here.
HOW TO APPLY:
TO APPLY, COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM FOUND BY CLICKING HERE!
Please read all the information below prior to applying.
Submit all information, audition fee, and audition recording by the deadline. Audition Fees are $25 (non-refundable) for each student auditioning and are due upon submission of your audition.
- To apply, the student must be a member of his/her school band or orchestra program if the school has a band or orchestra program. Homeschooled students are welcome to apply.
How to submit audition recordings:
Audition recordings are to be submitted as video files online. See below for specific details if you need assistance in uploading an unlisted video to YouTube.
Audition Video and Audio Requirements:
Since this is the only chance for the student to be heard, the quality of the recording should be of consideration. The quality of your recording will affect the evaluators’ ability to review and comment. Select a quiet setting. Video created on a cell phone, device, camera or computer are acceptable.
• Review your recording(s) before you submit to check the sound level and ensure the best audio quality.
• Be aware of the acoustic environment in which you record. Background noise and poor sound quality make your recording difficult to evaluate.
• Only unedited recordings can be accepted.
• Dress for an audition. This is a professional audition.
• State your name, age and high school at the beginning of your audition recording.
Instructions for Uploading Video:
After your video audition has been created, upload it to an “unlisted” YouTube file (see below). Be sure to give the file an appropriate title and description (see below). Once it has been approved by a school official, copy/paste the URL into your online Student Application form. Please check your URL to ensure it is functioning properly before submitting your application.
Video Format: YouTube accepts any of the following video formats: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP, and WebM.
WHAT TO PERFORM IN THE AUDITION VIDEO
MAYWE WIND AUDITION:
1. Two contrasting excerpts totaling approximately three minutes. The difficulty of the excerpts should reflect the musician’s ability.
2. Three major scales of your choice played throughout the practical range of the instrument in quarter notes at a tempo of quarter note = 60 (slowly). The articulation is your choice.
Please note the following:
• For flute players, piccolo is optional but very strongly encouraged. Any musician who chooses to audition on piccolo should choose one additional short excerpt for that instrument.
MAYWE Percussionist Auditions:
1. A snare drum excerpt and a mallet percussion excerpt totaling approximately three minutes. The difficulty of the excerpts should reflect the musician’s ability.
Rehearsals are held on Mondays from 7-9pm
May Concert Details
The standard Monday night rehearsal this week is at North Atlanta as usual. Our third MAYWE concert of the season will be held on, Wednesday, May 1 at 8:00 p.m. at the Dr. Bobbie Bailey & Family Performance Center on the Kennesaw State University campus. The address is 488 Prillaman Way, Kennesaw, GA 30144. We have been working very hard and have a wonderful program planned for you. We hope that many parents, relatives and friends are able to attend. There is no charge to attend.
Below please find all of the details for concert. Please read these very carefully and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
MAYWE Concert Details
- Concert call time is7:00 p.m. SHARPon Monday.. Please leave as early as you possibly can. This is our dress rehearsaland it is expected that all musicians will be punctual. If you have an unavoidable issue that prevents you from being there at 7:00 you must e-mail Kim Everett (email@example.com) immediately.
- Students should arrive in concert dress, as there will not be a place to change. The concert dress requirements have been pasted at the end of this e-mail for your convenience.
- Students are to enter the Bailey Center and report to the rehearsal hall.
- KSU’s policy is that non-performers are not allowed backstage or rehearsal area.
- The concert begins at 8:00 p.m.. KSU Staff will open the house doors for admission into the theater beginning at 7:45pm.
- There is absolutely no audiotaping, videotaping or picture taking of any kind allowed during the concert. The KSU staff will be very strict about this. To avoid a potentially uncomfortable and public situation, it would probably be best to leave cameras and video cameras at home.
- Parents are not allowed on or back stage in KSU at any time. After the concert, please proceed to the lobby. The musicians will meet you there within 10 minutes of the conclusion of the concert. Again, please do not wait for the students in the hall or attempt to come onto the stage or backstage.
MAYWE Concert Dress Policy
The goal of the ensemble concert dress policy is to present to the audience a unified and professional appearance. Any member who comes to a performance in unacceptable attire will not be allowed to perform until the attire conforms to the concert dress policy.
Wind Ensemble/Percussion Ensemble Gentlemen
- Black tuxedo jacket and matching trousers (no jeans of any kind)
- White tuxedo shirt
- Black cummerbund and bow tie
- Black dress shoes with black socks (no white socks or tennis shoes)
- Please, no cologne
Wind Ensemble/Percussion Ensemble Ladies
- A floor-length black dress with long or ¾ sleeves, OR black “dressy” slacks/trousers and matching black top with long or ¾ sleeves (no Capri pants, jeans, hip-huggers, cropped pants or pants with stripes or any patterns)
- Black hose or socks (no light colored hose or bare legs)
- Black shoes (no sandals, flip-flops, tennis shoes, or open-toed shoes of any type)
- Simple jewelry (no glitter or sparkling jewelry)
- Please, no perfume
Congratulations on a wonderful concert this past week at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church. I hope you enjoyed the concert as much as I did! So proud of you all!!!
Due to the number of students performing at LGPE this week, we will not rehearse this week (March 11th). We will start rehearsals for our final concert of the season on Monday, March 18th at NAHS.