VIDEO AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
THIS PAGE DESCRIBES HOW TO APPLY AND WHAT TO PERFORM FOR THE VIDEO AUDITION SUBMISSION. APPLICATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 4, 2019.
For membership/tuition information, click here.
HOW TO APPLY:
TO APPLY, COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM FOUND BY CLICKING HERE!
Please read all the information below prior to applying.
Submit all information, audition fee, and audition recording by the deadline. Audition Fees are $25 (non-refundable) for each student auditioning and are due upon submission of your audition.
- To apply, the student must be a member of his/her school band or orchestra program if the school has a band or orchestra program. Homeschooled students are welcome to apply.
How to submit audition recordings:
Audition recordings are to be submitted as video files online. See below for specific details if you need assistance in uploading an unlisted video to YouTube.
Audition Video and Audio Requirements:
Since this is the only chance for the student to be heard, the quality of the recording should be of consideration. The quality of your recording will affect the evaluators’ ability to review and comment. Select a quiet setting. Video created on a cell phone, device, camera or computer are acceptable.
• Review your recording(s) before you submit to check the sound level and ensure the best audio quality.
• Be aware of the acoustic environment in which you record. Background noise and poor sound quality make your recording difficult to evaluate.
• Only unedited recordings can be accepted.
• Dress for an audition. This is a professional audition.
• State your name, age and high school at the beginning of your audition recording.
Instructions for Uploading Video:
After your video audition has been created, upload it to an “unlisted” YouTube file (see below). Be sure to give the file an appropriate title and description (see below). Once it has been approved by a school official, copy/paste the URL into your online Student Application form. Please check your URL to ensure it is functioning properly before submitting your application.
Video Format: YouTube accepts any of the following video formats: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP, and WebM.
WHAT TO PERFORM IN THE AUDITION VIDEO
MAYWE WIND AUDITION:
1. Two contrasting excerpts totaling approximately three minutes. The difficulty of the excerpts should reflect the musician’s ability.
2. Three major scales of your choice played throughout the practical range of the instrument in quarter notes at a tempo of quarter note = 60 (slowly). The articulation is your choice.
Please note the following:
• For flute players, piccolo is optional but very strongly encouraged. Any musician who chooses to audition on piccolo should choose one additional short excerpt for that instrument.
MAYWE Percussionist Auditions:
1. A snare drum excerpt and a mallet percussion excerpt totaling approximately three minutes. The difficulty of the excerpts should reflect the musician’s ability.
Rehearsals are held on Mondays from 7-9pm